A strategic partnership with the French atomic energy agency (Commissariat à l'énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives français – CEA) In 2013, Veolia signed a strategic partnership with the CEA. This agreement, consisting of a technological collaboration in investigation and radiological characterization of CEA waste, is supplemented by maintenance operations for the CEA's low- and intermediate-level radioactive effluent treatment facilities.
In the context of this partnership, Veolia Nuclear Solutions is thus conducting several characterization missions at the CEA's French sites:
- Radiological mapping (surface and underground galleries)
- Deep soil samples under dynamic containment
- Radiological surveys, mobile unit-based sample preparation and packaging
- Glove box work
- Radiation protection management
- Final facility mapping for downgrading
Since 2009 at CEA's Saclay site (Essonne, France), in addition to its waste characterization duties, Veolia Nuclear Solutions has managed the operation and maintenance of an active liquid effluent treatment facility (STELLA).
The operations consist of:
- recovering and storing standard or tritiated Low-Activity (LA) and Medium-Activity (MA) liquid effluent;
- concentrating effluents by evaporation;
- following chemical pretreatment, immobilizing concentrates in a cement matrix and creation of parcels taken to appropriate storage facilities.
As a sign of the trust placed in and recognition of the high-quality work performed by the teams, following contract renewal in 2014, the CEA decided to select Veolia as the sole contractor for the following services:
- operations control through transverse safety, security, quality, environment, radiation protection, transport, supply, waste and chemical analysis functions;
- operation of STELLA (production, facility operation, maintenance, facility surveillance);
- corrective maintenance and change management;
- facility maintenance and monitoring-control modification activities via our partners ENDEL and ASSYSTEM.
Since 2014, at the CEA Marcoule site (Gard, France), Veolia Nuclear Solutions has also managed the operation of the very low level radioactive waste grouping and shipment center, providing the following services:
- collection from the Marcoule facilities producing parcels in primary packaging and/or large parcels not requiring primary packaging;
- acceptance and temporary storage of collected parcels;
- shipment of collected parcels to the ANDRA Industrial grouping and storage center (CIRES);
- ensuring the availability of the facility, its equipment and processes, along with the fluids;
- maintaining the ICPE (registered environmental facility) at a high level of safety and security, under the end responsibility of the CEA's facility contract manager (RCI);
- day-to-day management of this storage (by parcel type, by exclusion zone, etc.);
- maintenance of the equipment, means and premises provided for these duties.